9.16.2007

Ostriches = Pure Evil (What I learned at the Monterrey Zoo)



I am not afraid of many things. I live alone, I walk to the laundry room by myself in the dark, I kill tarantulas and scorpions with no problem. I am, however, terrified of ostriches. The Monterrey Zoo offers about thirty different "areas" to explore. I'd say five of these house ostriches. What's up with that?

In case you haven't seen an ostrich lately, they have red, beady eyes, three gnarly toes, and sharp beaks. They are just ugly. I know they are the largest birds in the world and all, and they can run really fast, but five cages of ostriches? Really?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, Ostriches!? Maybe you should watch the Swiss Family Robinson again and watch the animal race where they just hop on the Ostriche with no problem.

Cool idea on the blog, especially if you can keep up with it. I also really enjoyed the article on Cole at the bottom of the page. Hope all is well. Can I post pictures on here or just you?

Miss Katie said...

Excellent point. Perhaps Mexican ostriches are the only nasty ones...

I think I'm the only one who can post pictures on here...send me one and I'll post it! :)

jaybird said...

Zoos are a great way to distinguish cultures from your home expectations/standards.

When I was in Macedonia I loved the zoo in Skopje because it was so quirky. They build an elephant cage but didn't own any elephants. They had several deer in the zoo w/ really nasty fur (faded, patches of fur missing, etc.) And there was an article in the paper complaining that they spent $25,000 on new sidewalks around the zoo but still fed the animals moldy bread thrown out from local bakeries.

Angry ostriches sound equally amusing.